TARINA is guided by a project Steering Committee (SC) comprised of the “Heads of Agencies” that constitute the TARINA Consortium. This includes the heads of the Tata-Cornell Institute for Agriculture and Nutrition (TCI), the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI), the Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS), the BAIF Development Research Foundation, CARE India, Grameen Development Services (GDS) and Tata Trusts, as well as a representative from Emory University and from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The SC meets on a quarterly basis and is headed by two co-chairs. Since Cornell University is the primary grantee for the project, Dr. Prabhu Pingali, Director of the TCI, is a permanent co-chair, while the second co-chair is rotated on an annual basis among the India-based consortium partners.
The role of the SC is to ensure that project outcomes are consistent with the goal and objectives outlined in the TARINA Results Framework. It provides guidance on project implementation, establishes priorities for planned activities and monitors the quality of outputs as well as progress towards milestones. Given that SC members are “Heads of Agencies”, they help to reinforce the project by integrating TARINA into the vision and work program of their respective organizations and set the tone for cooperation between consortium partners.
SC Members Include:
- Dr. Prabhu Pingali – Director, TCI (Permanent Co-Chair of the SC)
- Mr. Rajan Bahadur – Managing Director and CEO, CARE India
- Mr. S. K. Dwivedi – Executive Director, Grameen Development Services
- Dr. Pramod K. Joshi – Director of South Asia, IFPRI
- Dr. Purvi Mehta – Senior Adviser and Head of Agriculture, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Dr. Bhaskar Mittra – Associate Director, TCI at TISS
- Dr. Usha Ramakrishnan – Vice Chair and Professor, Hubert Department of Global Health, Emory University
- Dr. Girish G. Sohani – President and Managing Trustee, BAIF
- Mr. R. Venkataramanan – Executive Trustee, Tata Trusts
- Dr. Nikhil Raj - Director, TARINA (Ex-Officio Member/Secretary of the SC)
A Management Committee (MC) consisting of designated representatives from consortium partner organizations has also been established to provide management oversight and ensure coordination of activities across partners and field locations. The MC is chaired by Dr. Nikhil Raj, Director of TARINA, and meets on a quarterly basis, typically before the quarterly meeting of the SC. The MC takes its direction from the SC and reports directly to the SC on grant progress and challenges.